BlogRankings.com Redneck's: It sounded like a bad redneck joke

Thursday, July 24, 2008

It sounded like a bad redneck joke

I got a message the other day and did a double-take.

West End Fair organizers were scrambling for more drivers to sign up for the demolition derby.
Really? No one has a junk car to drive in the derby?


I had one of those oxymoron moments. West End ... no junkers (I'm trying not to laugh.)
I've been to the West End, love the West End really. I have friends there, good friends. Nobody wants to trash their junk car in the derby?


Now I'm hearing Jeff Foxworthy's famous redneck joke in my head.

"You might be a redneck if you cut your grass and find a car."

I had to find out what's going on. So I called up fair directors Doug Hawk and Bob Coleman to get the story.

Sure enough, the entry list for the demolition derby is shorter than John McEnroe's temper. I talked to Hawk and Coleman and each time I was left shaking my head.

They're both a little uneasy these days. The entry list is only a third of what it should be. The demolition derby is going to happen, but it's in jeopardy of not being the crowd pleaser it usually is.

The demolition derby at the fair usually brings in about 100 cars per night for three nights. Out of 200 eight-cylinder cars they usually have for Monday and Wednesday (Aug. 25 and 27), only 60 have signed up so far.

On Tuesday night, Aug. 26, the four cylinder cars hit the course. Usually, about 80 cars smash themselves to pieces. Right now, Coleman says he's got 20 cars signed up.

They've also started a minivan category. So far two cars are entered. At this rate, there will be more fender benders in the parking lot.

We can't let this happen. The tradition of the demolition derby is sacred. What's next, a cutback on funnel cake?

Some things you just can't joke about.

No comments: